Who am I?

Who am I? Thats a good question! I will let you know as soon as I figure it out! What I do know is that I am a writer, an animal lover, a good friend, a philanthropist, a mentor, and a Starbucks addict. Other than that, you got me!

Monday, June 20, 2011

So this is what happened...

I recently broke up with the man that was my boyfriend for two and a half years. We had different ideas of where our relationship was going. I thought it was heading to the altar, and he didn't. We'll leave it at that. Thankfully it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. Even though I miss what we had, I know that things were never going to change. After all, you really can't change someone, can you?

I recently moved into a new place and I am loving it! And more importantly, I have some really exciting things planned over the next few months. For example, in September I will be embarking on my very first trip with Habitat for Humanity! I have wanted to work with the organization since I was a kid. Up until now life hasn't permitted such an adventure, but now that I'm done with school and working a lot I can finally find the time to go! I will spend 10 days on the island of Kauai in Hawaii with a team of other volunteers building a new home for a local family that has been living in poor conditions. Most of the damage to these homes is related to natural disasters. However, sometimes it is just a matter of an old home no longer meeting the needs of the family.

The majority of the time I am there is spent building the home. But there is also time set aside to enjoy the island! The organization has arranged several cultural activities such as a luau for us volunteers to attend. Having been to Kauai a few times already I am looking forward to seeing another side of the island and doing something more productive with my "vacation". I am also very much looking forward to the chance to go zip lining! Silly, I know, but its something I've always wanted to do!

In short, I am really looking forward to this trip and making a difference for the family I will be building for. Though it is an expensive endeavor ($1380 for the fee to the organization and another $750 for the flight) I think it will be more than worth It! I hope that this will be just one of many trips with Habitat for Humanity. Perhaps next year I will venture out of the country to South America, or even Africa (Sorry Mom!) The possibilities are endless!

To pass time before my trip I have been doing a lot of reading, exercising, working, writing, and spending time with great people. It's amazing how invested you get in a relationship and how much you lose certain things about yourself. I don't regret my time with my ex. But I am so thankful for the time I have with this new chapter in my life. I know that only good things are to come, with maybe a few speed bumps along the way!

Check back for updates on my new single girl adventures! And please visit my Habitat for Humanity volunteer website to learn more about my trip! A tax deductible donation to my trip is also very much appreciated! Even the smallest contribution make a huge difference in my efforts. Just click on the link below to see my page!

GV Team Member Page -- Habitat for Humanity, Int'l

Thats all for now friends! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Yay sister!! I'm glad you're writing again.

    I love you xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a new blog! But Africa? *Gulp*

    ReplyDelete